Sunday, November 25, 2012

In A New York Minute


Elspeth Humphreys' real life New York City trip, exclusively for OI Magazine,
interviewed by Sita Writer.
Pictures provided by Elspeth Humphreys. 








New York – the city that never sleeps – where everything changes and yet nothing does. You can never catch a cab in the rain but you can always get a good bagel with schmear! In the maze of Manhattan restaurants come and go in the blink of an eye, and neighborhoods are revitalized from rustic to high- end sanctuaries for high-heeled fashionistas. Vibrant with a cast of characters – visitors and residents, and a variety of superlative dining experiences, neighborhoods and attractions New York City is like no other city in the world. Locals call it “the city” because there is no other city that quite measures up to the New York experience




Fast paced, offering an opportunity for a new life, stylish, and glitzy with a dash of East Coast pragmatism or is that cynicism “the city” attracts people from all walks of life.



Elspeth Humphreys, the name of her avatar in SL, just returned from her first visit to New York City in real life back in September of 2012.



Fashion in a NYC store captured on Els' camera lens



 “Fashion drew me to New York City initially. I am from a fashion capital of the world and I have grown up with a passion for couture. I thought it would be amazing to visit and experience what another fashion forward capital had to offer and was interested to see what the fashion trends were".



Elspeth was not disappointed or surprised in her initial New York reception. “ To be honest I had been told that New Yorkers where rather rude and upfront so I was expecting that; and in fact, I got that ha-ha. I love the raw blunt edge of New Yorkers, there is no messing around and you always know where you stand,” Elspeth tells OI



Els' camera lens captures Anthony Hamilton singing



Of Elspeth’s most memorable experiences she recalls the Anthony Hamilton concert at the Beacon Theatre and watching an Alicia Keys interview at The Y center. “ The food, ITS CRAZY, and overwhelmed me and the people of New York where a breath of fresh air compared to what I am used to; adding the men are-- well, Gorgeous!” 




Els also enjoyed The Whitney Museum and in particular The Yayoi Kasuma exhibition, which is, breathtaking. 


The Manhattan skyline ,taken by Ms Humphreys
Second skyline picture, beautifully done


 She also admired the famous Manhattan skyline, Central Park and the ubiquitous yellow cabs!! A special treat for Elspeth was hooking up with some of her SL friends in RL.

NYC more than met Els’ expectations, “I felt like I was on one big film set every day. I really enjoyed the culture of the city the vibe was fantastic. The one thing I didn’t like was that I had a hard time getting directions when I was lost.”


Els' breathtaking views of the city from Top of the Rock


Elspeth stayed on the elegant Upper East Side, one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the city between Central Park and the East River. The Upper East Side is located close to the Museum Mile and restaurant row on Second Ave. between east 79 and 76th Streets



Els didn’t do a lot of touristy attractions, as she was interested in exploring and experiencing the culture of the city. “The few touristy things I did do and that I enjoyed included the Top of the Rock because of the view, the Empire State Building because she stands so regally watching over her city and Time Square – it is completely over the top and overloads ones senses.”


Watch where you walk 'cause the sidewalks talk, uhm Crosswalk in this case
Els' photography of Ripley's Believe or Not, Famous Dave & Buster's

Some random New York minute shots from Els



Her pic of the East River


Els posing for a picture of herself in NYC (Uhm, she's QUITE attractive, wouldn't you agree?)

Els hopes to return to “the city” next year. “ Unlike other vacations I have taken, New York felt oddly like home even though I knew it wasn’t-- I felt like I just slotted into place.”


1 comment:

  1. I love the photography, I hope to capture some beautiful shots too on my next trip to NYC!

    ReplyDelete